Rain Water Harvesting
Frequently Asked Questions
Turf Establishment & Management FAQs
- With cool season grasses is it good to aerate in spring and then seed the lawn?
- I had sod installed on a sandy ground and it does not seem to be rooting down. What can I do?
- Are lawn fertilizers basically all the same? Particularly with the lower cost store brand or off brand, or the big name brands?
- I have a large Linden tree and the turf under it does not grow well. I think it because the tree is taking all the water. What kind of fertilizer do I need to make it grow?
Turf & Landscape Insects
- I have mounds of soil in lawn, I think it is worms. Could it be anything else? Earthworms
- This is a viewer that has pavement ants where the concrete foundation and wooden structure of the house meet. They say it is difficult to get a granular control in there in the basement. How can they kill them? Pavement ants
- Last year we had an infestation in the yard of very large, black & yellow wasps, which I understand are cicada killer wasps. How can I get rid of them? Cicada killer wasps
- Grasshoppers are chewing up my vegetables and flowers. How can I get rid of them? Grasshoppers
- What is the best time to apply pre-emergent herbicide to my lawn to control crabgrass, foxtail and annual broadleaf weeds?
- How can I control henbit?
- My neighbor had nutsedge last year; did the seed blow into my lawn? If so, how will I get rid of it?
- How can we control nutsedge in our yard?
- I have many weedy trees in my fence line, I would like to cut them down and apply Tordon. I do have some desirable cedars nearby. Will Tordon effect the cedars?
- How and when do you control nimblewill?
- I have a vining weed in my flower beds and lawn with thin stems and alternate, spade-shaped leaves. It has white or pinkish flowers. Is this bindweed and how can I get rid of it?
- How can you control Wild Violets in a lawn without killing the turf?
- Landscape Weed Management
- Nebraska Weed Control Association
- Nobel Foundation Weed Image Gallery
- Rutgers Cooperative Extension Weed Gallery
- The Bugwood Network- Invasive & Exotic Weeds
- Virginia Tech Weed Identification Guide
- Weed Control for Small Rural Acreages, Colorado State University
- Weed Control in Tree Plantings, North Dakota State University
- Weed Management in the Home Garden, Iowa State University