Plant Disease Videos
Frequently Asked Questions
- We're having a lot of trouble with diseases in tomatoes. Leaves turn brown from the bottom of the plant and move upward. Is it a blight or a wilt? We've moved the plants and rotated them to a new location in the garden but this hasn't helped. So now we're thinking about creating raised beds. Will that help if these are soil fungi?
- I would like to start seeds inside. I have started them, but as soon as they start growing, they just fall over and die. What am I doing wrong?
- My tomatoes have dry, black patches on the botton end. What is this and how can I stop it? Blossom end rot
- My apple tree is dropping leaves like crazy! Almost half the foliage is gone and the remaining leaves have orangish-spots. Cedar-apple rust
- The leaves of my peach tree have strange, puffy, pinkish growths that I've never seen before. What is this? Peach leaf curl
- Stems of my raspberry plants are dying. What could be wrong? Ostershell scale
- I had Botrytis in my peonies last year. What can I do to protect them this year? Botrytis
- This viewer thinks they have verticillium wilt in a Smoketree. Is there a way to tell before they take action? And if it is, then what happens? Verticillium wilt
- My Austrian pine tree has a lot of brown needles. What's the problem? Dothistroma needle blight
- Cedar trees in my windbreak are turning brown at the base. I can't find any insects, but it's getting worse every year. What's wrong? Cercospora blight
- Suddenly this fall, my evergreen trees have many needles that are starting to change color or turn yellow. My trees aren't dying, are they? Natural needle drop
- I'm worried about this disease of pine trees I have been hearing about. What is it and can it be prevented? Pine wilt
- My ornamental plum tree has large black swellings on several branches. What is this and will it kill my tree? Black knot gall
- My crabapple tree is dropping leaves like crazy! Almost half the foliage is gone and the remaining leaves have orangish-spots. Cedar-apple rust
- My Ash tree has orange spots on the leaves and some leaves are falling. Is this a disease? Ash rust
- Landscape Diagnostic Guide, UNL Extension
- Abiotic Problems of Trees, Nebraska Forest Service
- Diseases of Broadleaf Trees, Nebraska Forest Service
- Diseases of Evergreen Trees, Nebraska Forest Service
- Focus on Plant Problems, University of Illinois Extension
- Vegetable Disease Identification, Penn State University
Dry conditions persist in Nebraska. Stay informed on current conditions, and public water utilities restricting water use. Visit UNL Drought Resources.